R. I. P.

Dickey Betts, whose country-inflected songwriting and blazing, lyrical guitar work opposite Duane Allman in the Allman Brothers Band helped define the Southern rock genre of the ‘60s and ‘70s, died Thursday in Osprey, Fla. He was 80.
He and Duane Allman created some of the greatest music I have ever heard.
A great songwriter, singer, and awesome guitar player. It always amazed me how he could jam and improvise so effortlessly. In all the shows I saw him he always played his butt off for the fans. RIP.

Jim Simons, a mathematician who founded the most successful quantitative hedge fund of all time, passed away on Friday in New York City. Pioneering mathematical models and algorithms to make investment decisions, Simons left behind a track record at Renaissance Technologies that rivaled that of legends such as Warren Buffett and George Soros. His flagship Medallion Fund enjoyed annual returns of 66% between 1988 to 2018. Forbes estimated that Simons had a fortune of $31.4 billion and that he had given away around $6 billion to philanthropic causes during his lifetime.

Mike Pinder, last original member of the Moody Blues, 82. Not a virtuoso like some of his prog contemporaries, but he could paint a mood (HA!) with his keys and mellotron unlike anyone else.
Mike Pinder was certainly the foremost authority of the Mellotron, which gave the Moody Blues that “ethereal” astral sound. He worked in the original Mellotron factory and repaired them, which was quite often. Extremely finicky and complex musical instrument at that time.

He was a constant presence in Abbey Road Studios with the Beatles to keep the Beatles’ Mellotron up and running for Paul McCartney on songs like “Blue Jay Way,”“Strawberry Fields,” and “Flying.”

The far more popular and well known lineup of the Moody Blues still counts Justin Hayward and John Lodge as amongst the living. Justin’s voice is still “golden” and tours often with an extremely loyal fan base, spanning many generations.

Mike Pinder was certainly the foremost authority of the Mellotron, which gave the Moody Blues that “ethereal” astral sound. He worked in the original Mellotron factory and repaired them, which was quite often. Extremely finicky and complex musical instrument at that time.

He was a constant presence in Abbey Road Studios with the Beatles to keep the Beatles’ Mellotron up and running for Paul McCartney on songs like “Blue Jay Way,”“Strawberry Fields,” and “Flying.”

The far more popular and well known lineup of the Moody Blues still counts Justin Hayward and John Lodge as amongst the living. Justin’s voice is still “golden” and tours often with an extremely loyal fan base, spanning many generations.
On The Threshold Of A Dream and To All Our Children's Children's Children are both masterpieces.

On The Threshold Of A Dream and To All Our Children's Children's Children are both masterpieces.

I have been to many Moody Blues’ concerts. The love there was overwhelmingly palpable. Their love for us; our love for them, and the love, trust and respect amongst fans to each other.

I just remember being so relaxed safe and comfortable with my “Moody” friends, knowing they embraced the same principles as myself.

It wasn’t that same feeling for any other concerts I attended. You could trust your “Moody” friends more and easily make sincere love with a “Moody” girl.